Jewish mementos in Györ-Moson-Sopron Comitatus
Cemetery of Györsziget
For the Jews of Györsziget - which was an
independent settlement and not part of Györ as it is nowadays - burying the
deceased was very difficult until they managed to secure their right to settle
in a legal contract. Due to this problem they acquired a cemetery in the nearby
village of Pinnyéd, which also entailed certain complications. The bodies could
only be transported from Györsziget to Pinnyéd by boat on the Rábca river. In
times of flood this was extremely difficult. In 1834 a raft made of twenty
pieces of struce was purchased for 50 Forint. But the floods did not spare the
Pinnyéd cemetery either, at times the bodies had to be provisionally buried in
the garden of the synagogue on Kígyó Street and once the waters receded the
raft could again depart to Pinnyéd.
Orthodox cemetery of Györ-Bácsa
There is only very little information about this Jewish cemetery. One can assume that it only was opened after 1870, as the grain merchant of Györsziget, Adolf König and his relative Áron Gross, merchant of kosher wine, registered the formal foundation of the orthodox Jewish community in that year. After the separation the two communities agreed that the Chevra Kadisha should serve both communities. The Chevra traditionally is responsible for the liturgical covering of the deceased, the support of the poor, caring and consoling the ill. The oldest tombstone of the cemetery features 1875 as year of death, this was presumably when the cemetery was first used. During World War Two however, the cemetery was bombed and many tombstones were destroyed, so there might have been older graves as well. The last grave was made in 1945. The cemetery was then surrounded entirely by housing complexes, even among the citizens of Györ there are few that know of the Jewish cemetery behind the brick walls.
According to the caretaker of the cemetery there are not only orthodox Jews but also neological Jews among the visitors. So we can assume that the cemetery was not used solely by the orthodox, in any case there is no evidence for that today.
by Scholem Alejchem & Alexandra Vogt