Jewish mementos in Györ-Moson-Sopron Comitatus
In the youngest city of the comitatus only
the cemetery indicates that numerous Jews had once lived here. There are over
three hundred tombstones, the oldest is from 1820, the last burial took place in
1945. Back then the cemetery was quite far from the village. The Jewish
community must have at some time had 200-400 members. Its synagogue was at Fö
utca (main street) 31, it survived the Second World War. Most of the Jews were
murdered in one of the concentration camps. A few returned home but quickly left
the area. Today the only visitors are from Israel or the United States, it is
only because of them that the locals know where the people whose ancestors were
born here live now.
The cemetery however was maintained. It is
not easy to find it as it is far away from the city limits. One can take
Kisfaludy road out of town. The gate to the cemetery is locked, to enter one can
retrieve the key from Miklós Szalai.
by Scholem Alejchem & Alexandra Vogt